1. Each adult (18 years of age or older) and emancipated minor must complete an application, including acceptable documentation of income and a copy of the applicant’s identification, and pay the current screening fee.
2. Applications are valid for 14 days after submission. Applications 15 to 30 days old are valid with updated proof of income. Applications over 30 days old are invalid.
- The combined gross income for all applicants must meet or exceed the following:
- For units where heat is included in the rent, 2 times the amount of the monthly rent.
- For units where heat is not included in the rent, 3 times the amount of the monthly rent.
- If the applicant has a Section 8 voucher, 2 times the amount of the monthly rent.
- Gross income includes:
- Pay from non-temporary employment, if:
- the applicant has been employed for the previous 6 months and if there have been no gaps in employment of more than 30 days during that time; or
- the applicant has been employed at their current job for any length of time, and has a credit score of 640 or higher.
- Pay from temporary employment, if the applicant has been on the same assignment for the previous 12 months and if there have been no gaps in the employment of more than 30 days during that time;
- Net income from self-employment, as verified by the previous year’s federal tax return Schedule C, line 31.
- Child Support and/or Alimony, if required by court order and paid by the payor through the Friend of the Court;
- Social Security or Disability benefits;
- Caretaker income paid by the State of Michigan; and
- Money received from a trust or pension;
- Pay from non-temporary employment, if:
- Gross income does not include:
- Any cash receipts not reported on an income tax return;
- Food stamps;
- DHS cash assistance
- Unemployment benefits;
- Any other income that does not meet the requirements of #2 above.
- If the applicant is starting new employment, the applicant must provide documentation of the amount of pay and start date, usually in the form of an offer letter from the employer. United Properties will separately verify the employment with the employer. To be considered sufficient, an offer letter must:
- Include the start date of the employment;
- List the applicant’s salary, or hourly rate and expected number of hours per week;
- Be signed by the applicant and the employer; and
- Be printed on company letterhead.
- If the applicants cannot meet the income requirement, this requirement may be satisfied by a qualified cosigner.
- If all applicants, whose income is being used towards the income qualification of the household, have a credit score of 640 or higher, a security deposit equal to 1 month’s rent is required. Otherwise, a security deposit equal to 1.5 months’ rent is required.
- No applicant will be accepted who has a delinquent utility bill, unless the applicant has a co-signer or has a credit score of at least 640. Utility bills include electric and gas. At least one applicant must be able to transfer utilities not included in the rent into their name.
- No applicant whose income was used to meet the income qualification will be accepted who has had a possession judgment entered against them, unless more than 10 years have passed since the date of the judgment, or unless the eviction was due to foreclosure (limit 1), or unless the judgment has been paid and the tenant has a co-signer (limit 1).
- No applicant with a pending eviction case will be accepted, unless the applicant has a co-signer.
- Applicants must not have an unpaid money judgment owed to a previous landlord on their credit report, unless discharged or satisfied by bankruptcy, unless the applicant has a co-signer.
- Chapter 7 bankruptcies must be discharged. Chapter 13 bankruptcies must be discharged, or the monthly payment will be subtracted from the applicant’s income, unless the applicant has a co-signer.
- If the applicant’s background check indicates an outstanding utility bill, possession judgment, money judgment, or bankruptcy, the burden is on the applicant to prove that he or she meets the above qualifications.
- If no landlord reference is obtained, the applicant must have a credit score greater than 640. Family or friends will not count as a valid landlord reference.
- Applicants may be rejected if a negative landlord reference is obtained.
- No applicant will be accepted who has been convicted of a violent felony or a felony involving fraud, unless more than 10 years have passed since the date of the conviction or the date of release from incarceration, whichever is later.
- No applicant will be accepted who has been convicted of any felony, unless more than 5 years have passed since the date of the conviction or the date of release from incarceration, whichever is later.
- No applicant will be accepted who has a pending felony charge.
- No applicant will be accepted who has been convicted of two or more non-driving misdemeanors within the past 5 years.
- If the applicant’s background check indicates a felony or two or more misdemeanors, the burden is on the applicant to prove that he or she meets the above qualifications.
ID Cross Check
1. If we are advised of a possible identity theft involving an applicant, request that the applicant verify their identity by bringing their social security card/ITIN document and a picture ID into the office. The application shall not be approved until the prospect’s identity is verified in person.
- A cosigner is qualified if:
- The cosigner has a credit score of 720 or greater, or
- The cosigner has income (as defined above) of three times the monthly rent or greater, has a credit score of 640 or higher and lives in Michigan.
- For properties allowing pets, additional monthly rent may be charged.
- Applicants must pay a non-refundable pet fee equal to one half of one month’s rent, not to exceed $500.
- Applicants must accept the terms of a pet addendum to their lease.
- For all dogs, the applicant must supply proof of a dog license, proof that shots are current, and a picture of the dog.
- For all cats, the applicant proof of spaying/neutering, proof that shots are current, and a picture of the cat.
- No aggressive breeds of dogs are permitted, including but not limited to: Akita, American Staff Terrier, Boxer, Bull Staff, Chow Terrier, Doberman/Doberman Pincher, German Shepard, Great Dane, Mastiff, Pit Bull/Any bull terrier, Presa Canario/Canary dog, Rottweiler, Wolf/dog hybrid, or a mix including any of the above.
- No dogs weighing 75 pounds of more are accepted.
- Per city ordinance, occupancy is limited to:
- 1 person per bedroom of 72 to 100 square feet or less, and
- 2 people per bedroom of 100 to 149 square feet, plus 1 additional person for every additional 50 square feet.